Current Affairs 10 Feb
Artificial Energy Island
- Denmark has approved its plan to build an artificial energy island in the North Sea as its main part of switching to green energy.
- The project cost is estimated to go around 210 DKK million, which is considered as the largest construction project in Denmark history.
- The island is situated about 80 km into the North Sea. The island is majorly owned by the Danish government. The main purpose of the project is to provide and develop large scale offshore wind farms.
- The main idea is to make Denmark is to distribute power and neighboring countries and to increase dependence on green resources by 10 fold within a decade and 25 fold by 2050.
- Andhra Pradesh became the second state in the country after Madhya Pradesh to implement power sector reforms.
- The said reforms will give subsidized electricity to the farmers and the state has started giving Direct Benefit Transfers to the farmers.
- The state has implemented one of the 3 reforms that are mentioned in the power sector.
- The government of India is implemeting its Centrally sponsored scheme Per Drop More Crop which took idead fro Israel style of irrigation by Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare.
- The seed inception took place in 2015-16 and now the scheme is implemented. It focuses on saving water and using various irrigation techniques like drop and sprinkler.
- A total area of 52.93 lakh has been covered under Micro Irrigation and 4.84 lakh storage structures have been created under the scheme.
- Efforts are being made to converge ‘Per Drop More Crop’ Scheme with Atal Bhujal Yojana (ABHY), Namami Gange Districts, Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Surakshaevem Utthan Mahabhiyan (PM-KUSUM), Water Harvesting Structures through Watershed Development component of PMKSY to propagate micro irrigation intensively to contribute in achieving the desired targets to enhance the water use efficiency in agriculture.