Current Affairs 12 Jan
- Indian railways have attained a new feature and have measured a top speed of 130km in the stretch of 1280km out of a total of 1612 km.
- Golden quadrilateral consists of 4 Indian metros Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, and West Bengal. All the cities are interconnected and direct trains run between the stations.
- The speed limit is achieved by avoiding bottlenecks and by improving the infrastructure and strengthening of the tracks.
- The government of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh are getting close to an agreement on the project. The discussions are going on for 15 years and few issues are remaining to be resolved.
- The project highlights the use of water of Ken river in Madhya Pradesh for irrigation in drought-prone areas of Bundelkhand. The river will also solve the purpose of providing drinking water to more than 62 lakh people in the area.
- Ken-Betwa is one of the 31 interlinking projects in India that has reached advanced planning.
Freight Business Portal
- Indian Railways has started a new portal that will act as a one-stop solution for all freight customers.
- The portal is developed to increase seamless rail mode interaction and reduce human interaction. The portal will show all the details of the consignment and various interactions and freight charges and can apply for various services and concerns.
- All the schemes, discounts rebooking and waivers will be available on the portal.
- Assam government has in a move to pay tribute to Mahatma Gandhi has decided to give eri shawl, khadi shirt and eri stole to grade IV employees.
- Eri silk is made from Samia ricini caterpillar found in north-east India, China and Japan.
- The silk is also known as Ahimsa silk as the worm is not killed and leaves the cocoon. Also the Eri silkworm is exclusively domesticated other than Bombyx mori.
Source: All India Radio