Current Affairs 19 Jan
- In Indonesia, After the devasting earthquake, heavy rainfall is disrupting the search operation of people lost during the earthquake on Sulawesi Island.
- Indonesia sits on the Ring Of Fire, the area where tectonic plates collide. And the island is known for Devastating Earthquakes and tsunamis.
- Sulawesi is an island in Indonesia, located east of Borneo, west of Maluku Islands.
Source: All India Radio
Open Sky Treaty
- Russia has left the Open Sky Treaty blaming Washington who previously blamed Russia for violating the pact and left the treaty in November last year.
- The treaty states that any member country can spy in the Host nation with the country’s consent. Although the spying should be without arms. A state can take aerial imaging by imitating the host country 72 hours prior visit and giving 24 hours notice for the flight path.
- The treaty was signed in 2002 between Russia, America, and 33 other countries.
- Ministry of Telecommunication has asked for inputs from Telcos and other experts on the sale and use of radiofrequency of 5G over the span of the next 10 years.
- The radiofrequency is divided into 3 different frequencies-Low, Mid, and High frequency.
- The low frequency will have good coverage and speed of internet. The maximum speed achieved is 100 Mbps.
- In the mid-range spectrum, the coverage area is limited as compared to low frequency but has higher speed.
- In the high range spectrum, the speed is incredibly high and can reach up to 20Gbps but the coverage and signal penetration is extremely low.
- The maximum speed that a 4G network can achieve is 1 Gbps
- India and Japan have recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding in the field of Information and Communication Technologies.
- The MoU defines that Indian and Japanese Telecom will enhance cooperation in the field of 5G technologies, submarine optical fiber cable system to India, smart cities, disaster management, and public safety.