1. Sembcorp Energy India Limited (SEIL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Singapore-based Sembcorp Industries, announced the completion of its latest 800MW wind power projects.
It has become the primary independent power producer to commission the projects awarded in the wind auctions conducted by the solar energy Corporation of India (SECI). Union Power Minister R K Singh has dedicated Sembcorp’s SECI 1, 2 and three wind projects to the country. For Latest current affairs. Read more
2. NASA has successfully launched its Mars rover named ‘Perseverance’ from Cape Canaveral Florida on a United Launch Alliances Atlas V rocket.
The vehicle with the dimensions of a large car is also accompanied by a helicopter called Ingenuity which will study Mars’s atmosphere. it’ll drill into Mars and collect geological specimens. The rover is predicted to land at the bottom of a crater called Jezero on February 18, 2021.
3. The U.S. House of Representatives has recently passed a legislation to promote the legacies of Gandhi, Luther King Jr.
The bill seeks to set up an academic forum and an exchange programme for Indian and American students to study about the 2 great leaders. It also seeks to develop knowledgeable development training initiative based on the principles of non-violence. For Latest current affairs. Read more
4. Major technology company Microsoft has unveiled the newest edition of its Security Endpoint Threat Report 2019.
As per the report, India has been placed among the countries with the highest cryptocurrency mining encounters in the last year. India registered the seventh highest malware encounter rate in the past year and therefore the third highest ransomware encounter rate across the Asia-Pacific region.
5. Global chemical company SABIC’s polycarbonate plant in Spain is about to become the world’s first which will run entirely on renewable power.
The Riyadh-headquartered company has signed a serious agreement with an electricity utility company Iberdrola, in this regard. This plant is predicted to be completely operational by the year 2024.
6. The Ministry of Consumer Affairs has integrated four additional states Jammu & Kashmir, Manipur, Nagaland and Uttarakhand to the One Nation One card scheme.
With this, the scheme has been enabled in a total of 24 States/UTs across the country. Around 80 percent of the beneficiaries of National Food Security Act (NFSA) are covered. The Ministry aims to integrate all states/UTs to the scheme by March 2021. For Latest current affairs. Read more
7. Indian journalist and Special Correspondent of the Indian Express Dipankar Ghose has won the Prem Bhatia Award for political reporting.
He covered various issues associated with the Covid-19 pandemic including the migrant labour crisis. People’s Archive of Rural India (PARI), a journalism website has been selected for the award for the reporting on environmental and development issues.
8. Apple surpassed multinational petroleum company Saudi Aramco to become the world’s Most worthy publicly listed company.
The market capitalization of the technology company surged to USD 1.82 trillion, as per the regulatory filing of the company. Whereas, the market capitalization of Aramco stood at USD 1.760 trillion.
9. ‘Samarth’ is an initiative of E-Commerce major Flipkart, to assist artisans of India that was launched last year.
Under the programme, Walmart-owned Flipkart had partnered with five non-governmental organisations (NGOs) to assist local artisans in using the online marketplace to sell their products. Flipkart recently announced that under ‘Samarth’, it has supported 6 lakh artisans to reach around 200 million customers.
10. Sanskrit Diwas also referred to as ‘Vishva samskrita dinam’ is celebrated on the full moon of the ‘Shravana’ month of Hindu calendar .
This year, Sanskrit Day that promotes the revival of the language is celebrated on August 3. All India Radio broadcasted the primary special program in Sanskrit titled ‘Bahujan Bhasha – Sanskrit Bhasha’ to mark the occasion. For Latest current affairs. Read more