1. Goa is that the smallest state of India, by area and therefore the fourth-smallest state by population. It recently celebrated its statehood day on May 30.
In 1961, Indian Army invaded and annexed Goa, Daman and Diu into the Indian union, through Operation Vijay. then , Goa along side Daman and Diu, was categorised as a centrally administered Union territory of India. On 30 May 1987, the union territory was split and Goa was made the 25th state of India and Daman and Diu remained as a UT. For more current affairs August. Read more
2. The legislature of Hong Kong has recently approved a bill that creates it illegal to insult the Chinese anthem.
In Hong Kong , the pro-democracy camp sees the anthem bill as an infringement of freedom of expression whereas the pro-Beijing majority said the law was necessary to point out appropriate respect for the anthem. If one intentionally abuses the “March of the Volunteers” anthem, he might confront to 3 years in prison and a fine of up to 50,000 Hong Kong dollars.
3. Seasoned banker and director and CEO of Kotak Mahindra Bank, Uday Kotak has recently assumed office because the president of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for 2020-21.
As per the chamber, Uday Kotak takes over from this Chairman and director of Kirloskar Systems, Vikram Kirloskar. The MD and CEO of Tata Steel, T V Narendran is now the President designate of CII for 2020-21. For more current affairs August. Read more
4. The Union government has recently extended its flagship insurance scheme Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY) to migrant workers across states.
This step seeks to supply healthcare assurance to the migrant workers, who have lost their jobs and sources of livelihood during the lockdown thanks to Covid-19. National Health Authority (NHA), The implementing agency is coordinating with the states to spot the eligible migrant workers.
5. The National Institute for Space Research (INPE),Research institute of Brazil has announced that the Amazon rainforest witnessed deforestation of 829 sq km in May 2020.
This is the very best monthly level of deforestation observed within the forest since 2015. The institute also announced that deforestation increased by 91 sq km compared to an equivalent period last year. The Prime Minister of Brazil is advocating for farming and mining in protected areas to enhance economy. For more current affairs August. Read more
6.Vasant Raiji, India’s oldest first-class cricketer, left to heavenly abode at his residence in Mumbai, at his 100th year.
Vasant Raiji was a accountant by profession. He was a right-handed batsman and played nine first-class matches for Mumbai and Baroda within the 1940s. He started playing within the Mumbai team under the leadership of Vijay Merchant. He was also a veteran cricket historian.
7. As per the recent statement from the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Custom (CBIC), custom duty on bamboo imports by agarbatti manufacturers has been hiked from 10 per cent to 25 per cent.
This is expected to encourage use of domestic bamboo by all industries. Earlier, only the massive agarbatti manufacturers were ready to import bamboo at lower rate. But thanks to the reduction in import, farmers also as MSME agarbatti manufacturers would be benefitted. Moreover, uniform rate will help to stop misuse and rate related disputes. For more current affairs August. Read more
8. Allocation of Rs. 1,01,500 crore has been made under Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) within the current fiscal year 2020-2021.
This is the very best ever provision of funds under the programme. Out of the allocated fund, a sum of Rs. 31,493 crore has already been released in 2020-2021, which is 50% of the budget estimate of the present fiscal year .
9. Spain has recently granted professional status to women’s football. As per the Spanish federation, the highest two women’s football divisions in Spain have gained professional status.
This decision is predicted to market the event of those competitions which were considered amateur football, until now. The sports council of the country also accepted the change in status for the competitions and it’ll even be valid for men’s and women’s futsal competitions of the country.
10. US space agency NASA has selected Kathy Lueders as its first female head of human spaceflight mission.
NASA has successfully sent two astronauts to the International space platform (ISS) on board a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket. In its next mission, it aims to land humans on the Moon by 2024. Kathy Lueders, who is currently the Commercial Crew Program Manager, has been named NASA’s next associate administrator of the Human Exploration and Operations (HEO) Mission Directorate. For more current affairs August. Read more