What is GMAT?
GMAT stands for Graduate Management Admission Test which is conducted by Graduate Management Admissions Council (GMAC). The exam is undertaken by those candidates who want to pursue their MBA from business schools in countries like the USA, Europe, Canada, Australia, or any other International country.
This exam is not exclusively for international studies, few colleges in India as well take GMAT scores like ISB, IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Calcutta, IIM Bangalore, XLRI, and others.
The duration of GMAT is 3 hours and 25 minutes. With 2 breaks of 8 minutes. The exam has 4 sections: Analytical Writing Assessment, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, and Verbal Reasoning.
You can assess the exam as many times as you want. If you didn’t get the desired results then you can re-appear for the exam.
A candidate is eligible for the following courses when they appear for GMAT:
- International MBA
- Masters in Management programs internationally
- One year MBA in IIMs, XLRI, SPJIMR, and many more.
- A two-year program in 100+ Business schools.
GMAT is a very expensive competitive exam all taken together be it SNAP, CAT, CMAT, NMAT. The fee of filling GMAT is approx $250 which amounts to 17,500. While fee for XAT is Rs 1700, CAT is 1900, NMAT 2100 and, SNAP Rs 1750.
GMAT Exam Pattern
Like already discussed, the exam duration of GMAT is 3 hours 7 minutes excluding two breaks. GMAT is a ‘Computer Based Test’ which aims primarily at testing a candidate’s reasoning skills.
The 4 sections in which a candidate is tested are:
- Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA);
- Integrated Reasoning (IR);
- Quantitative Reasoning and,
- Verbal Reasoning.
A total of 80 questions are asked in GMAT with question and time distribution mentioned below:
- QR – 31 Questions / 62 Minutes
- VR – 36 Questions / 65 Minutes
- IR – 12 Questions / 30 Minutes
- AWA – 1 Question / 30 Minutes
The score validity of GMAT is 5 years.
Colleges Accepting GMAT
- Great Lakes Chennai: Great Lakes Institute of Management – GLIM
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi
- Prin L N Welingkar Institute of Management Development and Research
- Jaipuria Institute of Management Lucknow
- IIM Bangalore: Indian Institute of Management
- IIM Ahmedabad: Indian Institute of Management
- IIM Calcutta: Indian Institute of Management
- XLRI Jamshedpur: Xavier School of Management
To register for GMAT you need to visit the official website and fill in the date on which you want to appear for the exam. A candidate can appear for the exam 5 times a year and should have a difference of atleast 16 days between the 2 exams.