What is XAT?
XAT short for Xavier Aptitude Test is an admission test for entrance in MBA/PGDM programs in colleges like XLRI, XIMB Bhubaneswar, IMT Ghaziabad, IRMA Gujarat and other 160 colleges across India. XLRI offers admission only through XAT score and no other tests. XAT is taken up across 70 cities and over 100 centers across India.
XAT is an online computer based test. The exam is divided into 4 sections and 2 parts with a total of 100 questions. Part 1 consists of 3 sections namely:
- Verbal and Logical Ability(26 Questions),
- Decision Making(21 Questions) and
- Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation(28 Questions).
The time given to take on the questions is 165 minutes with No Sectional Cut-off.
Part-2 consists of 25 questions of General Knowledge to be answered in 15 minutes.
For each correct answer, the candidate is awarded with +1 mark and for every wrong answer a penalty of 1/4 is attracted. Candidates can only take on the Part-2 after completion of 165 minutes.
Note, there is no negative marking for Part-2. Percentile is calculated on the basis of Part-1 and each questions carry 5 options with one correct option.
How to Apply for XAT
Application form XAT is filled once each year. The exam is conducted by XLRI for more than 160 colleges. You have to register yourself and apply on the official website of XAT.
Following are the steps a candidate should keep in mind:
- Register yourself on the official website of XAT.
- Verify your e-mail address to continue filling the form.
- Fill all the details carefully that are been asked for like the city in which you want to appear for exam, your academic qualifications, marks secured in 10/12.
- Upload the required documents like certificates, Mark sheets and Identity proofs.
- Pay the online application form fee of Rs 1750-/- and Rs 300-/- for each programme selected.
- The final step is to submit the application form.
XAT Eligibility and who can Apply
There is No Age Bar to appear for XAT 2021. Candidate of any age can fill the form if they suffice all the other requirements. There is eligibility of No Minimum Qualifying marks. You just need a Bachelor’s degree to get into any XAT institute. The candidate can apply who:
- Has a Bachelor’s degree,
- Have a professional degree(CA/BE/CS) or,
- Is in the final year of there graduation.
Those in the final year of there studies can get into the institutes provisionally by having a NOC from there current college. Just to keep the candidate informed and updated XLRI recommends to keep the Email and phone number same through out the selection process.
How to Prepare for XAT
Like already mentioned the exam is divided into 4 sections and 2 parts. But the Part- 1 makes the merit and not the Part-2. Before even starting the preparation you should take care of the following:
- Understand the exam pattern and plan how to prepare for xat. Each year some changes are being made in the exam like shifting from paper to computer based, increasing the number of questions. Checking the merit of particular sections. You should have a through and wide knowledge of Exam pattern even before preparation.
- Go for the best study material. XAT is a exam with moderate to difficult questions. So you should make a proper strategy and collect your study material.
- Focus on section wise preparation and also concentrate more on decision making and sectional questions.
- Prepare a time table and give equal importance to each and every part But starting from the section you are weak in.
- Take tips and notes from the toppers of XAT.
You can design your own schedule and make your own strategy on how to prepare for xat exam. And look at the syllabus for the exam as well.
Syllabus For XAT
The syllabus for 4 sections are mentioned below:
Verbal Ability: Sentence and paragraph completion, Jumbled Paragraphs, English Vocabulary, Sentence correction
Reading comprehension: Reading passages,comprehensions on various topics like abstract, politics, lietrature, science etc. and
Logical Reasoning: Topics like Blood relationship, analogy, clocks, calendars, Fact, Inference, Judgement, binary logic, seating arrangement, blood relations, logical sequence, assumption, premise, conclusion among others.
Decision Making: There are a total of 21 questions asked in this section. This is the unique part that is tested only in XAT and under no other entrance exam questions on Decision making are asked.
The main areas in which the decision making questions are asked are :
- Conditions and Grouping Test;
- Data Arrangement Test;
- Complex Arrangement;
- Decision Making in a situation;
- Case lets
Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation: A total of 28 questions are asked in this section. The syllabus for this is same as of CAT. You can check by clicking here.
General Knowledge: As per XAT, there are 25 questions to be asked in this section. There is no qualification marks for this section. There are major topics from which the questions are covered and asked in the XAT exam.
The main topics covered on how to prepare for xat are:
- Economics, finance,
- National and International current affairs
- Conventional GK
- Constitution of India
- Company profiles, logos,
- Business & Economy
- Who’s who
- Books & Authors
- Capitals & Currencies
No essay writing in the exam. The essay writing has been scrapped by the XAT and further won’t be asked in the exam.
Books for the preparation
- How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude – by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- How to Prepare for Data Interpretation – by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning – by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension – by Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Upadhyay
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation- by Nishit K Sinha (Published by Pearson)
- Logical Reasoning and data Interpretation- by Nishit K Sinha (Published by Pearson)
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension-by Nishit K Sinha
- High School English Grammar & Composition – by Wren & Martin
Colleges Accepting XAT
XAT conducted by XLRI is accepted by more than 160 colleges across India. Some top colleges accepting the XAT score are:
- XLRI Jamshedpur
- IMT Ghaziabad
- XIM Bhubaneswar
- TAPMI Manipal
- XIME Bangalore, Kochi, Chennai
- BIMTECH, Greater Noida
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi
- GIM Goa
- Great Lakes, Chennai
- LIBA Chennai
At HamariNaukari.com you can read the latest and updated notifications of any updated exam.